Saturday, May 9, 2015

red rooster: review

Where's the buzz? This place was full of French tourists (father with beard, children poking at their iPhones).

Maybe I should have sat outside? But I wanted to see the kitchen.

Shrimp with dirty rice featured two very nice shrimp with heads on and decent (though red: tomato) dirty rice with tidbits in it of liver and mushroom. Fennel strips on top.

Fried chicken was very good, dark brown, juicy, on a bed of mashed potatoes topped with fried shallots.

Service was excellent. There was a faux pas with the wine that was handled very smoothly. Freshly made doughnuts were proffered as a peace offering (and welcomed).

Takeaway: new restaurants are what I'm looking for. Good food and service are nice, but I don't want to feel like I'm eating great food at T.G.I. Fridays.

Grade: C+ (sorry, atmosphere counts for a lot here)

310 Malcolm X Blvd

(212) 792-9001

redroosterharlem.com

No comments:

Post a Comment