Tuesday, August 4, 2015

upland: review

The "likeability factor." That je ne sais quoi that makes you happy at one place and unhappy at another without being able to put your finger on it. Upland is likeable. The room is square, which somehow always appeals to me. The banquettes are green and clean and new. They sat me at my table before my dining companion had arrived (I could tell you stories about Franny's, an unlikeable place, but I'll spare you).

Wine choices were excellent: a Beaujolais rosé...new to me. Our bearded South American waiter was extremely attentive without being pushy and without hovering. The chicken liver pasta was somewhat disappointing (get the cacio e pepe...it looked amazing). The burger was very good, a lot like mine: two thin patties, soft bun, American cheese. Fries were great. Desserts were excellent: an affogato and a strawberry concoction.

But the food did not matter so much. The people were interesting; the atmosphere was pleasant, bordering on jovial; it was pouring buckets outside.

Grade: A

Upland

345 Park Avenue South

212-686-6345














No comments:

Post a Comment