Tuesday, June 30, 2015

le centenaire: review

Ever have a cantalburger? I didn't think so.

I had just checked out the deserted Maison Plisson with a friend and also scored a reservation for later in the week at Clown Bar by showing up in person (try this sometime...it works like magic) when we passed a traditional-looking café packed to the gills with local French regulars eating lunch.

All the ourdoor tables were taken, but there was plenty of room inside. The waitresses handled the mob masterfully. I had a cheeseburger made with Cantal and my friend had an entrecôte. The food was excellent (good fries and a great green salad) and the service was very entertaining. Our saucy waitress scolded me soundly for bringing my credit card up to the register and leaving it there.

My friend then introduced me to the joys of a café gourmand: an espresso with an assortment of microdesserts, in this case a tiny crème brûlée, a tiny coconut ice cream, and a tiny apricot crumble. Heaven.

Conclusion: atmosphere is almost more important than food (though the food needs to be good). It's uncanny how a loud tourist or angry waiter can ruin a meal.

Grade: B+ (I really enjoyed this simple meal!)

Le Centenaire

104 Rue Amelot, 75011

01 47 00 35 46

















No comments:

Post a Comment